As a memoir writing teacher, I have heard some fascinating comments on the topic of writing life stories. Remarks ranging from, “No one would care what I have to say about my life” to “People will think I’m conceited if I write my memoirs” just begin to scratch the surface.
I do everything within reason to assure the folks suffering from Doubting Thomas Syndrome that every person has a story worthy of sharing with future generations. This is how our families, many years down the road, will learn what our lives were like. Children who have never seen a typewriter, a reel-to-reel tape recorder, a drive-in movie, etc. should have the opportunity to learn how we experienced life.
Please do not think that only celebrities should write their memoirs. It is not a spirit of conceit in which memoirs are written, but a generous act that insures the preservation of family history.
Many memoir writers thrive in participating in memoir groups to trigger memories, share stories and make new friends. If you reside in the Myrtle Beach and surrounding area, two memoir group opportunities beginning in October, 2014 are awaiting you!
1-LIFE STORY CONNECTION
· 6 Mondays from 1:00-3:00 p.m. Dates are-10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10/14
· Location-14427 Ocean Highway Pawleys Island, SC 29585
· A 6 week opportunity to focus on preserving our life stories to share with loved ones & future generations. Write a new story each week to share with the class. Continue after 11/10 at your own pace.
· Beginners learn how to get started, an excellent review for former students & many more memories captured!
· Trigger important recollections to impart as we make new friends & reconnect with others!
· Cost: Workshop fee: $50.00 + $20.00 CCU semester registration fee (pay $20.00 registration fee only once per semester regardless of how many OLLI classes/workshops in which you choose to enroll), $9.00 fee for optional text, 7 Easy Steps to Memoir Writing: Build a Priceless Legacy One Story at a Time! Please note that CCU charges a 2.7% service fee for credit and debit cards used for mail, phone and online registrations. May pay by check without incurring this additional fee.
Call OLLI Litchfield at 843-349-6584 or visit http://www.coastal.edu/olli for additional information. Registration is now open.
2-LIFE STORY LUNCH BUNCH
· 2nd Tuesday of each month
· Starting- October 14, 2014 11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
· Location-Ryan’s-8671 Highway 17 Bypass-Surfside Beach, SC 29575
· Lunch & learn to capture & preserve our life stories to share with loved ones & future generations
· Great for beginners, as well as those who have already started a memoir project
· Trigger important memories to share as we make new friends!
· Keeps memoir writers motivated to work on their life story projects
· Cost: Pay for lunch at entrance to restaurant-$7.00 enormous buffet, $2.19 beverage + wait staff tip = $11 to $12.00 total for meal. Note-Sign up at Ryan’s to receive coupons for greater discount. Eat a gigantic lunch, and you won’t be hungry at dinnertime!
Workshop fee: $7.00 advance registration & payment OR $8.00 drop in registration. Workshop fee only paid to A Writer’s Presence, LLC-6313 Longwood Drive Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
Call Mary Anne Benedetto , author of 7 Easy Steps to Memoir Writing: Build a Priceless Legacy One Story at a Time!, at 843-215-4676 to register in advance each month. Come on out and join us for lunch, making progress on your memoir project and having just plain ole’ fun!
Vow to take action to begin your memoir project. Each step you take brings you closer to a finished set of documents to pass along to future generations!
See you again soon,
See you again soon,
Author of Eyelash, 7 Easy Steps to Memoir Writing: Build a Priceless Legacy One Story at a Time!, Never Say Perfect, From Italy with Love & Limoncello and Write Your Pet's Life Story in 7 Easy Steps!